Sunday, August 01, 2010

What to do with no brand Cottage Cheese

 

I love to have cottage cheese and stew fruit for breakfast. So in a try to save on the shopping bill, I thought I would try a no brand cottage cheese. WRONG!!!

There are some things you cannot buy no brand. Toilet paper, bake beans, most dips and of course coffee (did I say toilet paper)? Yes never toilet paper. There are a few other things, but I will not list them all.

So back to what to do with 500 grams of cottage cheese, that no one will eat not even the dogs (well maybe not, who knows with dogs)?  I know cake, everyone will eat that I hope?

So I Google, and all I could fined was cheese cake. Ok I can do this, all a cake has is flour, eggs, butter, and some luck so here goes.

Cottage-Cheese Pound-cake

3 cups sifted plain flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup of not so nice cottage cheese, 
2 cups sugar
6 eggs, separated
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 tsp grated orange rind
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup glace cherries
Vanilla Bean Dusting sugar (Queen)

1. Preheat oven to 150c Grease a 20-inch Bundt pan.

2. Sift flour, cinnamon and baking soda in to a bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat butter or margarine and cottage cheese until smooth and creamy.

3. Slowly beat in 2 cups sugar until fluffy.

4. Beat in egg yolks, one at a time.

5. Beat in orange rind, vanilla and flour mixture until well blended, then add cherries mix well.

6. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry.

7. Gently fold the beaten whites into cake batter.

8. Spoon batter into prepared pan, smoothing top evenly.

9. Bake for 1 1/2 hours or until top springs back when pressed lightly.

10. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes.

11. Turn out onto rack and cool completely. If you can keep hands off of it. Sprinkle with vanilla dusting sugar before serving.

Servings: 16

Oven Temperature: 150°C

Recipe Type: Cakes, Cakes, Pastries, and Desserts, eggs, Kid Friendly, Lunch box, Make ahead

Author: Jan Plater
Source: My cooking note book RECIPE%20BOX
Copyright: Jan Plater

P1030189 Well as you can see, that worked well.  This is Emma trying to nick a second piece, while I am taking my photos. And there is another piece going in for her lunch box for Monday. Baz took a 1/4 back to Seaspray with him for the week. So if Emma is lucky she might have enough for her school lunches this week.

P1030170 P1030183
Emma telling me, no I did not take more cake. As if lol, I see the empty plate. P1030184

So maybe next time we need a nice cake, will I buy no brand cottage cheese? You will never know if you come around for coffee and cake, will you?

No comments: